Sunday, 6 October 2013

Making the effort

Now and again, my mother complains to me that I try too hard with my clothes too often. Sometimes I myself wonder why, at least three days out of five school days a week, I make such an effort.

Perhaps the quote that "you can never be overdressed" is debatable, but being a schoolgirl, what I wear every day is simultaneously trivial and crucial. It's not affecting my academic performance, but doesn't what you look like affect how others treat you?


So, why should you dress up every day for school?

  • You bought your clothes, so wear them and make the most of them - think about cost per wear. How can you let them live out an unfulfilling existence sitting in a wardrobe forever, never seeing the light of day?
  • Impress your peers: make them jealous because you look so awesome, make them look forward to your walking in every day so see what you've thought up of next.
  • Just a couple of minutes' thought and dressing each morning is a nice little creative workout to get yourself ready for four back-to-back lessons full of the fun-fun-fun of quantum physics... or whatever subject you take.
  • If you enjoy dressing up, take full advantage of the liberty of non-uniform. Not everyone's that lucky - think about schools in which the girls have to wear ankle-length kilts or vomit-yellow blazers.
  • Feel confident. Being well-dressed intimidates others, so use this to cut through the crowds in the corridors. Make those midgets part like the Red Sea to open up a path for you.
  • People always judge books by their covers, so control or influence what people think of you when they look at you by dressing like who you are. Feel empowered for it.

And, if you don't want do dress up... then don't. No one's making you. Wear whatever you feel your best in.

11 comments:

  1. My mother is always happy when she sees me wearing a cute outfit.

    I am sometimes too lazy or tired to think of an interesting outfit but I cannot deny that getting a nice piece of clothing and then wearing it feels so greeeat ^_^ And liking the way I look makes me more confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only problem is when you dress up often, it's hard to let yourself have a day off, I find xD

      Delete
  2. I always TRY to make an effort at least 4-5 times a week. I find that if I look better I feel better, therefore work better at uni etc etc. That dress is amazing xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's one of my favourites! It's great that just wearing something nice improves how you work.

      Delete
  3. I love dressing up! I used to be self conscious about it but now I am having a lot of fun looking nice all the time

    passionateturban.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with everything, you get used to it!

      Delete
  4. During sixth form when we didn't have a uniform, I think I found out a lot about my sense of style. Also I found that I am lazy when it comes to getting dressed, and this did not go away until the 2nd year of uni :P I think non-uniform all throughout school must be a nice way of expressing yourself, but for me the ease of a uniform can't be beat :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that uniform's a lot easier. When I go to uni I won't have my full wardrobe with me, and if it all goes to plan I'll often be in a clinical setting, so I'll probably have a few years' rest from dressing up every day. That's why I'm trying to make the most of it while still at sixth form.

      Delete
  5. I love all these reasons to dress up! especially the one about it being a creative workout. there is a lot of creative thought into putting together a good outfit sometimes, it's not a totally superficial process haha. and yes, dressing well does give a boost of confidence too!
    just discovered your blog via IFB, and love it! following you now! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate it :D

      Delete
  6. I dressed down today in a pair of skinny jeans and a baggy band t-shirt, I only did it because it was easier and I felt sorry for myself. I felt a whole lot worse every time I looked in the mirror. Sometimes overdressing is someone's style and I certainly wasn't myself today. Here's to overdressing! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...